The following is a national statement from the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB), along with some resources to help you personally take action.
Cardinal O’Malley: Planned Parenthood’s Work Reflects ‘Throwaway Culture’ Decried by Pope Francis
July 29, 2015
WASHINGTON—Cardinal Seán O’Malley, OFM Cap., archbishop of Boston and chairman of the Committee on Pro-Life Activities of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB), responded, July 29, to recent videos showing leaders from Planned Parenthood discussing the provision of fetal organs, tissues, and body parts from their abortion clinics.
Full text of Cardinal O’Malley’s statement follows:
Pope Francis has called abortion the product of a “widespread mentality of profit, the throwaway culture, which has today enslaved the hearts and minds of so many.” The recent news stories concerning Planned Parenthood direct our attention to two larger issues involving many institutions in our society. The first is abortion itself: a direct attack on human life in its most vulnerable condition. The second is the now standard practice of obtaining fetal organs and tissues through abortion. Both actions fail to respect the humanity and dignity of human life. This fact should be the center of attention in the present public controversy.
Read the rest here.
The latest from Cardinal O'Malley on behalf of the USCCB:
· Think that Planned Parenthood business is mainly about sex education and health services? Think again: http://usccb.org/about/pro-life-activities/life-issues-forum/business-as-usual.cfm
· Cardinal says Planned Parenthood video illustrates 'throwaway culture':http://thecatholicspirit.com/news/nation-and-world/cardinal-says-planned-parenthood-videos-illustrate-throwaway-culture/
1. In solidarity with Cardinal O'Malley, contact your Senators and urge them to pass S. 1881 to withhold federal funds from Planned Parenthood: https://www.votervoice.net/NCHLA/Campaigns/42090/Respond
2. If the Planned Parenthood news coverage has caused you or someone you know to experience revived trauma from their own involvement in abortion, contact Project Rachel for confidential, nonjudgmental help:www.projectrachel.com.
3. Read and share this article on Facebook: USCCB Life Issues Forum: Business as Usual